- Commonwealth Day
- nounBritish, anniversary of Queen Victoria's birth• Syn: ↑Empire day, ↑May 24• Hypernyms: ↑legal holiday, ↑national holiday, ↑public holiday• Part Holonyms: ↑May
* * *nounUsage: usually capitalized C&D: May 24 observed in parts of the British Commonwealth as the anniversary of Queen Victoria's birthday
* * *a holiday observed in some countries of the Commonwealth of Nations, originally on May 24, the anniversary of Queen Victoria's birth, but now on varying dates. Formerly, Empire Day.[1955-60]
* * *Commonwealth Day nounThe second Monday in March, formerly kept as a day of celebration in the British Commonwealth• • •Main Entry: ↑commonwealth
* * *Commonwealth Day,a holiday in parts of the Commonwealth of Nations, celebrated on the second Monday in March. It was formerly called Empire Day and Victoria Day and was observed on May 24, the anniversary of the birthday of Queen Victoria.
* * *Commonwealth Day [Commonwealth Day]a public holiday in some parts of the Commonwealth (but not Britain), celebrated every year on Queen Elizabeth II's ↑Official Birthday. Until 1966 it was celebrated on Queen Victoria's birthday (24 May). Before 1958 it was called Empire Day.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.